Here's what I have observed in my years of business - all too often we knowingly or even unknowingly devalue our most valuable resource by making it too available to others. We devalue our own time due to our own behaviors. Think of Econ 101. The laws of supply and demand.
Case in point, last week a client cancelled a coaching appointment with me because according to them, one of their most important clients had to see him right away.
I asked, "Are those your words or their words?"
"Well they are my words, you know, clients come first!"
I continued "When you asked your client when they wanted to meet with you and about what, how did they respond?"
"Well I never really asked when, I just said I could meet them at 3:00pm (the time of our appointment) and would that work. They said yes."
"So you offered them a time that you already committed to something else without ever asking them how soon they needed to see you and on what day they would like to meet. You never offered an
option?"
You can see where this conversation went.
When working with sales people and executives on time management, the first place we start is with how they manage their time. When others ask for their time do they drop everything and comply out of fear of letting someone down? That they might think less? Or, do we ask a number of qualifying questions that determine how imminent the request is before judging which part of our limited supply of time do they qualify for?
Time management is about changing your own behaviors and expectations. Learning to ask more questions. Digging a little deeper to learn how timely the meeting or request is. Time management is not only about saying YES. It is also about learning to say NO.
Come join me on Tuesday, July 14th at the Reidsville Chamber of Commerce offices. We'll eat some Subway subs. I'll share some time management strategies and how they might work to help you regain control of your most valuable and precious inventory.
And don't tell me you don't have time to attend ...
Joel Kaczmarek
Sandler Training

No comments:
Post a Comment